If you have to convert XPS files into PDF format, you might be wondering which is better – a desktop-installed converter or an online one. Here we will compare the two types of converters and help you decide which one is best for your needs.
Advantages of using an online converter
- The most obvious advantage of using an online converter is that it does not require any installation. This means that you can use it on any computer, regardless of the operating system. All you need is an internet connection and a web browser. Some examples of online converters are Zamzar, A1Office, PDFElement, etc.
- Another advantage of using an online converter is that it is usually free to use. There are many free online converters available, so you don’t have to worry about paying for a subscription or license.
- Ease of use: most online converters are very easy to use. You simply need to upload the XPS file and choose the PDF format, then click on the Convert button. The conversion process is usually very quick and you can download the converted PDF file within a few seconds.
- Saves time: if you need to convert multiple XPS files into PDF, using an online converter can save you a lot of time. With a desktop converter, you would need to install the software on your computer and then convert each file one by one.
Disadvantages of using an online converter
There are also some disadvantages of using an online converter.
- The most significant one is that you need an internet connection to use it. This means that if you are converting a large file, or if you have a slow internet connection, the process can take a long time.
- Another disadvantage is that there is always the risk of data leakage when you upload files to a website. Although most online converters are safe to use, there is always a possibility that your file could be intercepted while it is being uploaded or downloaded.
- Fewer features: most online converters have fewer features than desktop converters. This means that you might not be able to convert your file into the exact format that you need.
Advantages of using a desktop converter
- The main advantage of using a desktop converter is that it offers more features and options than an online converter.
- With a desktop converter, you can usually select the output format, resolution, and other settings. This allows you to customize the conversion process to suit your needs.
- Another advantage of using a desktop converter is that it does not require an internet connection. This means that you can convert your files even if you are offline. In addition, most desktop converters are very fast and can convert large files quickly.
Disadvantages of using a desktop converter
There are also some disadvantages to using a desktop converter.
- The most significant disadvantage is that you need to install the software on your computer. This can take up space on your hard drive and might slow down your computer.
- In addition, you would need to purchase a license for the software, which can be expensive.
Both online and desktop converters have their own advantages and disadvantages. To decide which one is best for you, consider your needs and requirements. If you need to convert large files quickly, a desktop converter would be the better option. However, if you only need to convert small files occasionally, an online converter would be sufficient.
We hope this article has helped you to understand the difference between online and desktop converters. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Thank you for reading!