The 21st century can be marked, as the century of digitalization. In the age of digitalization, anything can be done, with the help of software. Starting from registration for schools & colleges, applications for different institutes, ordering food through a single click, and online delivery of goods and services with a single touch. In the present scenario, 8 out of 10 use a cell phone, and almost everyone uses a smartphone on the Android or IOS platform. The apps have revolutionized our daily lives. These apps can be classified, into two groups based on their uses. Some of the apps can be used for personal uses, and some, on the other hand, are strictly for professional uses. Since, the importance of the apps has increased, it is relevant that the security of mobile applications has improved through App wrapping.
It is often thought that app wrapping modifies the function and changes the appearance of an app. In reality, app wrapping is something else. App wrapping act as a limiter or a controller that takes action to prevent security breach. Now let us identify the need for app wrapping.
- Maintaining security policy: There are few actions, restricted by the company. Here, policies can be divided into three groups. They are security policies, analytic policies, and management policies. To run effectively on different devices, and operating systems, security policies are focused, on self-depending apps. Authentication, runtime checks, encryption, and jailbreak detection are covered in these scenarios. Next comes the policies of management or management policies. In some cases, when we try to install applications from non-trusted sources, a dialogue box appears on the screen asking for permissions for running the app. The function of the management policies is to protect users and provide permissions and rules to a few users so that that data is not visible and shirt through illegal means. Finally, they come to the topic of analytic policies. The function of the policy is to identify the users of an app.
- The advantages over containerization: Well, containerization is a foreign term, which might not well known to everyone. It is a different way of protecting the mobile application. But, there is a minute difference in the way of protection between app wrapping and containerization. Data of the users and the apps are either stored in a secured server or are stored in encrypted zones which are generally on a mobile device. In this case, the application of coding on a different level is required. Continuation has its limitation. Since it has a little more complication than app wrapping methods in the case of third-party apps as there is a single set of policies. This implies all the other apps related to a company can be exposed with a single breach in the application. In addition, there is a limitation on the application, based on its usability to its employee.
- Creating applications: There could be a company that has multiple apps, for maintaining records, protecting the cell phones and lots of others. The client needs a website to promote their applications directly without dedicating particular sections to the promotion of an application.
- Monetization of applications: Among the multiple benefits of app wrapping, monetization of applications is a primary benefit. It provides a seamless experience while installing applications on the device of a user. Here, the devices can be Android or iOS based. App wrapping bypasses the need of hunting different app stores for searching a single app within a limited time frame. It helps in the promotion of the application among Android users as well as Apple users. It increases the probability of downloading applications and their uses.
- Helps to maintain intellectual property rights: App wrapping can be classified into two types based on enterprises and consumers. In scenarios of direct-to-consumer app wrapping, the companies which are smaller in size increase their foot hole and visibility through the app stores like Google Play Store and iTunes. Protecting intellectual property is important. With the help of enterprise app wrapping, the largest companies take action to manage user permission effectively and to protect the intellectual property right of the company.
- The success of an application: If you want to differentiate your app with its looks you need the help of app wrapping. In a digitalized economy multiple companies are offering their applications for single use. If you look for a PDF reader in the app store you can find different products from different companies. It helps to improve search engine optimization results. In a competitive market differentiating a product from the competitors and increasing user engagement, can be possible with the help of app wrapping. There are multiples in the market but the goal is common to make the application different and to provide a seamless experience.
- The need in a company: Basically, there are three reasons behind the need for app wrapping by a company. First and four it makes the application professional and polished. It helps the company to increase its presence in the market and provides a different look from its competitors. Some of the apps of a company contain images and other sensitive data. In the contemporary world, companies run on the analysis of data. These data are protected with the help of App wrapping. Lastly, the app created by a company may look large so the help of app wrapping is required to fit the app on a single screen. In this scenario, the app is compressed in the file size which makes it more likable. In addition, protection from malware and other security threats like fire wall bridge and virus attacks can be prevented with the help of app wrapping.
- Other beneficial aspects of app wrapping: There are other beneficial aspects of app wrapping. It keeps tight control over the protection of the operating system and its user. It can provide a restriction on the activity of copying & paste corporate data in an app. In addition, it can enable operating system-specific restrictions. For example, a screenshot can be blocked in certain applications and websites.
From the above points, we can highlight the needs and the uses of app wrapping in the contemporary world. It helps in the promotion of an application, it helps the company in maintaining intellectual property rights, etc. Appsealing protects from hackers and provides a real-time warning.