According to a 2020 study by Telstra, a significant portion of small businesses in Australia (40.5%) still need a website. While word of mouth and social media can be alternative ways to reach potential customers, a website should be a core component of your online presence. Research shows that one in five potential customers will stop considering your business if you don’t have a website.
Understandably, many small business owners find it challenging to launch a website that includes all the necessary components because website design and development require both knowledge and expertise. In fact, 60% of small business owners believe that creating a website with the right components takes too much time. However, once you understand the key components of a small business website, it becomes easier to communicate your vision to a designer, whether you’re creating a new small business website or just redesigning an existing one.
In this article, we will explain these essential components and provide examples of small business websites that have executed them well.
Essential Components of Small Business Websites
A Proper Domain Name
A domain name serves as the identity of your website and is often referred to as a website address. In order to create a good impression on your website, it is essential to put thought into good website management and maintenance services. This is because it is the word that people will associate with your business on the internet. Therefore, the key is to create a domain name that is both SEO-friendly and memorable.
When picking up a domain name for your website, consider the following tips:
- Pick a catchy and memorable domain name that is easy to remember, as this will help your small business gain exposure.
- Research existing websites to ensure that your chosen domain name is not already in use, and also check for any registered trademarks.
- Avoid using numbers and hyphens in the domain name, as these can be hard to remember.
- It is better to choose a domain name that is easy to spell and pronounce; it will help in remembering the name.
- Use a proper domain extension such as .com, .co, .net, etc.
- It is ideal if the domain name has a connection or is related to your business, as nonsensical names are often forgotten.
Scalable and Secured Website Hosting
In order to make your website visible on the internet, you need all-in-one business solutions that offer technical assistance and effective service from a website host. In order to ensure that your website is easily accessible, it is essential to connect your domain name to your hosting provider.
When selecting a hosting company, look for one that offers a phone or chat option for quick communication in case of any issues. Additionally, ensure that the hosting company has a regular security maintenance system in place. The cost of hosting service varies depending on the package you choose. Here is a guideline to help you understand the price range.
Shared server hosting: It is one of the cost-effective enterprise business solutions that comes with plans starting at $2 per month. However, it is important to note that shared hosting can have drawbacks, such as reduced website performance due to sharing resources with other websites and the risk of being affected by a security breach on another shared website.
Dedicated server hosting: It is considered the most expensive option, with plans ranging from around $100 to $2,000 per month. This type of hosting provides a dedicated physical server machine entirely for your site, giving you access to all resources. However, it may not be a cost-effective solution for small businesses at the start-up level.
Virtual private server hosting: It is a cost-effective option, with plans starting at around $20 to $50 per month, making it a suitable choice for small businesses. It is essentially a single machine that is divided to function as multiple machines, providing affordability similar to shared hosting, but with added security and improved CRM services.
An Effective Navigation Bar
A majority of customers, 85%, prefer websites that are easy to navigate, yet many small business websites lack a well-designed navigation bar.
Designing a user-friendly navigation bar can be achieved by following these guidelines:
- The navigation bar should be prominently located at the top of every page. Not just on the home page, and remain visible even when the visitor scrolls down the page, also known as a sticky navbar.
- Visitors should be able to access all important pages of your website easily from the navigation bar. If your site has many pages, you can use drop-down menus to organize them.
- The logo, usually located in the top-left corner, should be used to take visitors back to the homepage when clicked.
- Keep in mind that mobile devices account for an average of 50% of web traffic. So ensure that the navigation works well on small screens, such as by using a hamburger menu to display the links.
Business Appropriate Design
A small business should have dedicated website management and maintenance services designed based on who your target audience is. The website of a local locksmith will certainly look different from the website of a local restaurant.
In most cases, your focus should lean toward better user experience rather than over-the-top visuals. Heavy design elements distract your visitors and can potentially slow down your site. You should also stay away from agencies that recycle the same layout for every type of business.
If you want to sell products online, then you need to have all the basic features of digital marketing services. The online market is really competitive. Even if you are a small business, you can’t afford to ignore eCommerce best practices. If you want to turn your visitors into regular customers.
Three essential design principles for small business websites are responsive design, user experience optimization, and the inclusion of a clear call to action.
- Responsive design: This ensures the website is mobile-friendly and looks professional on all devices.
- UX optimization: This prioritizes a user-friendly layout, intuitive site structure, and clear information pathways.
- Call to action: These guide visitors towards conversion by prompting them to take a specific action on each page of the website.
Managing a website can be a hassle, but a good Content Management System (CMS) can provide you with the required SEO services and make it easy to update and make small changes. Choosing the right CMS is also essential for the website’s performance.
While many popular CMSs, such as WordPress and Magento, are widely used by businesses of all types. They can be too cumbersome and complicated for a busy small business owner. An alternative is to consider a customized CMS that is tailored to meet your specific business needs. Many website design agencies offer customized CMSs as an option for their clients; it’s worth inquiring with them.
In conclusion, a small business website is crucial to any business in today’s digital age. To ensure that your business runs smoothly, it must have an effective wing that provides website design and development. These include responsive design, which ensures that the website is mobile-friendly and looks professional on all devices.
User experience optimization prioritizes a user-friendly layout, intuitive site structure, and clear information pathways. The inclusion of a clear call to action guides visitors toward conversion by prompting them to take a specific action on each page of the website. And lastly, the right Content Management System (CMS) can make it easy to update and make small changes to your site, and also crucial for your website’s performance.
WorkerMan is one of the leading business solution providers that can offer you everything served on a golden platter. With these components in place, a small business website can be a powerful tool for reaching and engaging customers and driving business growth.